The objective was in fact more to force myself to practice designing different things every day, that I wouldn’t do in the normal CAD jobs I get. It was also about doing it with speed, or at least that’s the idea while I improvise on a concept. There is a simple render (in-canvas) at the end with the outcome I managed to make.
People liked the series of videos as a source to learn about Fusion 360, since I was showing the tool in action building valid elements in short time and in real time. The only drawback is that to maintain the production rhythm of one video per day I had to cut in some nice to have stuff. So, they are not narrated and the music is always the same in all videos to cut video edition time (if you have enough of the same tune, just turn the volume down!). Even though, it took me easily an hour a day.
As I find myself in trouble sometimes, you can also learn what not to do and how to sort it out, if you pay attention, since some operations may have limitations. In fact, sometimes I spend more time thinking what to do or how to do it than actually doing it. Ten minutes don’t last for much, and I often do not finish my objetive fo the day. The benefit is in the process, even if some details are missing to make a functional object.
Sample of the 15th first projects
Content of 10 minutes of Fusion 360
The series was limited to 30 days and we saw things like:
- Tetris in 3D. Design of pieces, use of componentes and assembling them. In the second part we create missing materials, copy and paste more pieces as componentes and keep assembling them.
- Tintin rocket. Example of creation of a model based on a blueprint image taking advantage of model symmetries.
- Filament clip with reverse engineering. Making a new design based on an imported STL using some of the Mesh tools offered by Fusion 360.
- Strange vase. Modeling a vase based on a random profile created with Splines, and Loft operation using rails.
- Simple knife. We use again Loft to make the knife sharp blade and extrusions for the handle. Shows the flexibility of Fusion 360, by modifying timeline operations to change handle shape.
- Gummy bear, using workspace Sculpt (or Free Form in the new interface).
- Candy cane. Sweep allows us to sweep profiles, and in workspace Patch (Surface in new interface) we can sweep any kind of 2D elements. We use a line with Twist to split the cane object in two and apply two colors. This is ideal for multimaterial 3D printing.
- Chess board using Rectangular Pattern of four squares, and design of a pawn.
- Simple boat, showing Loft operation of a profile into a point for the hull, and Boundary Fill to make the deck.
- Box for Arduino. Starting with an Arduino model shared by soemone else we make a box that takes into account all references.
- Glasses in 5 different ways. This is useful to see different ways of construction of objects of glass type, using Extrude, Loft, Revolve, Sweep and Sculpt.
- House model from plans, basically with Extrusions at different heights for doors and windows. The most tedious part is to reproduce the layout Sketch of the floor plan, obviously it would be faster with a vector graphics file.
- Box recycling empty filament spools, in two parts. Starting from some dimension taken from the empty spool, we model a box that fits inside.
- Robotic arm, to show the effect of Joints and the degrees of freedom. In three parts.
- E.T. head split into pieces with joints to be able to 3D print them.
- Wood lamp in layers for laser cutting.
- Parametric chest of drawers where I can choose the number of drawers and dimensions with parameters.
- Knife block holder using the knife from a previous day.
- Trophy made with Sweep and Circular Pattern.
- Glass with ice, and rendered.
- Matryoska dolls using surface Offsets.
- Nutcracker (fail).
- Roof of the house model from plans continuing with the house from previous ay, using line Offsets in Surface/Patch.
- Random mode. Just playing around with no purpose.
- OSHW lamp with Circular and Rectangular Pattern plus LED light.
You can find these designs in Fusion 360 format in Github. Then you can see in detail steps taken for each model and how they were made, as well as reuse some designs. License CC-BY-SA-NC.
Sample of projects 16 to 30
Other tutorials of Fusion 360
In addition to these videos I have other narrated that are more instructive, although longer. From my point of view, the playlist 10 minutes of Fusion 360 may be useful to you to see what the application can do, you may even have to model something similar to one of the examples and can see one of the possible techniques to design it. Generally, there are several ways to get to the same result, some more efficient than others, for sure. But it can also happen that the least efficient ones are however the easiest to modify later on. As always you need to look for what you need in each particular project.
If you want to learn Fusion 360 (in Spanish), you have two options:
- attend one of thecourses I give in Barcelona periodically.
- follow the tutorial playlist in YouTube.
In these videos I recommend to follow with another computer (or two screens) repeating what I do in Fusion 360 while I explain. The majority of videos last about half an hour, so this is for you only if you really want to learn the tool and spend time. It is really comprehensive, so don’t expect to learn it in a couple of hours.
There are plenty of tutorials in English, and those from Fusion 360 evangelists are really good, but I haven’t found much content with quality in Spanish. That’s why I started a channel on my own.
And when I talk about quality I don’t refer to the video edition, I am also bad on this, but to the content. Content is king, they say.
Fusion 360 is so flexible that some channels show bad practices. They get to the result they want, true, but at some moment it’s going to turn against you or i’s simply very inefficient.
I don’t have 30 years of CAD experience under my belt, but I take the time to learn every day and keep improving, with a lot of time dedication, of course.
If you have any suggestion about something you would like to see leave it in the comments and if it is doable I an make a video on the topic.